ASTM B649 and ASME SB649 are standards for the specification of nickel-chromium-molybdenum-columbium (Ni-Cr-Mo-Cb) alloys (UNS N06617, N06625, N08020, N08026, N08367, and N08926) in the form of hot-worked and cold-worked rods and bars for high-temperature and corrosive service. These standards were developed by the ASTM International and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) respectively.
The ASTM B649 and ASME SB649 standards specify the chemical composition, mechanical properties, dimensions, and tolerances of Ni-Cr-Mo-Cb alloy rods and bars. These alloys are commonly used in applications such as heat exchangers, chemical processing equipment, and oil and gas production.
ASTM B649 and ASME SB649 standards are widely recognized and used by manufacturers, suppliers, and end-users in the industry. These standards help ensure the quality and consistency of Ni-Cr-Mo-Cb alloy rods and bars, which is essential for the safe and efficient operation of high-temperature and corrosive applications.
ASTM B649 and ASME SB649 standards specify the dimensions and tolerances for hot-worked and cold-worked nickel-chromium-molybdenum-columbium (Ni-Cr-Mo-Cb) alloy rods and bars. The dimensions and tolerances are as follows:
- Rods and bars shall be furnished in the diameter or thickness range specified in the purchase order.
- The standard diameter sizes for rods and bars range from 0.250 inches (6.35 mm) to 10.000 inches (254.00 mm). The standard thickness sizes for bars range from 0.125 inches (3.18 mm) to 3.000 inches (76.20 mm).
- The length of rods and bars shall be specified in the purchase order. The standard length for rods and bars is 10 to 12 feet (3.05 to 3.66 meters).
- The straightness tolerance for rods and bars shall be 1/8 inch (3.18 mm) in 5 feet (1.52 meters).
- The diameter tolerance for rods and bars shall be as specified in the purchase order or as per the standard specifications. The standard diameter tolerance for rods and bars is +/- 0.005 inches (0.13 mm).
- The ovality tolerance for rods and bars shall be 50% of the diameter tolerance.
- The surface finish for rods and bars shall be as specified in the purchase order or as per the standard specifications.
It’s important to note that these dimensions and tolerances may vary depending on the specific grade of Ni-Cr-Mo-Cb alloy and the manufacturer’s capabilities. It’s recommended to refer to the specific ASTM B649 or ASME SB649 standard for detailed information on dimensions and tolerances.