ASTM B467 / ASME SB467 is a standard specification for welded copper-nickel alloy pipe. This specification covers pipes made from copper-nickel alloys with specified compositions, such as alloy UNS Nos. C70600 or C71500. The pipes are intended for use in high-pressure applications, such as in shipbuilding and offshore industries, and for general corrosion-resistance applications. The standard covers both welded and seamless pipes, with the welded pipes having a longitudinal or helical seam. The pipes are required to be heat treated after welding to ensure adequate mechanical properties and resistance to stress corrosion cracking. ASTM B467 / ASME SB467 also specifies the chemical and mechanical requirements, dimensions, and tolerances of the pipes.
ASTM B467 / ASME SB467 specifies the dimensions and tolerances for welded copper-nickel alloy pipes. The standard covers both seamless and welded pipes, with the welded pipes having either a longitudinal or helical seam. The dimensions and tolerances are as follows:
- Outside Diameter (OD): The standard specifies the OD range for copper-nickel pipes to be between 0.5 inches (12.7 mm) and 8 inches (203.2 mm).
- Wall Thickness: The minimum wall thickness of copper-nickel pipes is 0.065 inches (1.65 mm). The standard specifies the wall thickness range for copper-nickel pipes to be between 0.065 inches (1.65 mm) and 0.5 inches (12.7 mm).
- Length: The standard specifies the length of copper-nickel pipes to be within the range of 10 feet (3.05 m) to 14 feet (4.27 m). Custom lengths can also be specified upon request.
- Straightness: The standard requires that the pipes should be reasonably straight and free from any bends, twists, or kinks. The deviation from straightness is not to exceed 1/8 inch per foot (10 mm per meter) of pipe length.
- End Finish: The standard specifies that the ends of the pipes should be cut square with the axis of the pipe and free from burrs. The ends can also be beveled as per the customer’s requirements.
Overall, the dimensions and tolerances specified by ASTM B467 / ASME SB467 ensure that the copper-nickel pipes have consistent and accurate dimensions, and are suitable for use in various high-pressure and corrosive environments.