ASTM A815/ASME SA815 is a standard specification for wrought ferritic, ferritic/austenitic, and martensitic stainless steel piping fittings. These fittings are intended for use in high-pressure, high-temperature, and corrosive service applications.
The ASTM A815/ASME SA815 specification covers a wide range of stainless steel fittings, including buttwelding fittings, seamless and welded wrought fittings, and cold-worked welded pipe fittings. These fittings are classified based on their material grades, such as Grade WPS, Grade WP, Grade CR, Grade F, and Grade FP.
The ASTM A815/ASME SA815 specification is commonly used in industries such as oil and gas, petrochemicals, chemical processing, and power generation. The specification ensures that the fittings have the required mechanical properties, chemical composition, and other quality attributes necessary for their intended use.
Manufacturers of stainless steel piping fittings are required to follow the ASTM A815/ASME SA815 specification and undergo regular inspections to ensure compliance. Testing procedures include non-destructive testing, tensile testing, and hydrostatic testing to ensure the quality and reliability of the fittings.
ASTM A815/ASME SA815 specifies the dimensions for wrought ferritic, ferritic/austenitic, and martensitic stainless steel piping fittings. The dimensions are specified in both imperial and metric units.
The dimensions covered by the ASTM A815/ASME SA815 specification include the following:
- Nominal pipe size (NPS): This refers to the size of the pipe to which the fitting is attached. The NPS ranges from 1/2 inch to 48 inches.
- Wall thickness (WT): The wall thickness of the fitting is specified based on the schedule of the pipe to which it is attached. The schedule ranges from SCH 5S to SCH XXS.
- Center-to-End (C to E) dimensions: This is the distance from the center of the fitting to the end of the fitting, and it varies depending on the type of fitting.
- Center-to-Face (C to F) dimensions: This is the distance from the center of the fitting to the face of the fitting, and it varies depending on the type of fitting.
- Outside Diameter (OD): This is the diameter of the fitting at the widest point.
The ASTM A815/ASME SA815 specification provides detailed dimensions for each type of fitting, including elbow, tee, reducer, cap, stub end, and cross. These dimensions ensure that the fittings are compatible with the pipes and other fittings to which they are attached, ensuring a leak-free and reliable piping system.